– Defining “community” & why community is important
– First steps – community dinners; community newsletter; Neighbourhood watch; discussion group; coops; work share; mission statement; asset inventory
– More advanced ideas – community garden or orchard; neighbourhood composting; planting trees; establish an edible landscape; start a CSA
– Learning circles
– The local economy, local currency, cottage industries
– Soapmaking – practical demonstration
– Other cleaners – bicarb, vinegar
– Skin care
– Toothpaste & deodorant
Preserving the Harvest
– Revise ethics and principles
– Designing a guild
– Zones and resilience
– Needs and yields analysis
15 Putting it all together – Living Sustainably in the suburbs
– What is sustainable living?
– What difference does living in the ‘burbs make?
– What are some of the barriers to sustainable living?
– How can we break those barriers down?
– Thinking globally and acting locally
– Food, water, energy, waste, transport, consumption, transport and community in the suburbs