Date(s) - 15/09/2018 - 16/09/2018
9:00 am - 4:00 pm
Living Skills Event
Starting your own Bee Hive including building your own Bee Box
We have invited Arthur Garske, a member of Parramatta Beekeepers Association to run a 2 day workshop for Permaculture Sydney West members.
Cost: $175 (includes $30 DVD)
- Rules & Regulations for keeping bees in NSW.
- Introduction & overview of requirements.
- Workplace Safety –
- Risks * Different reactions *Aggressive Bees *Heatstroke *Protective gear *Uniforms
Honey Bee Biology *Introduction * Difference, e.g. workers/drones * Numbers in the hive * Variety of roles bees fulfil
Bee Hives * Various options of design * Decisions to be made before acquiring first hive, e.g. 8 frame, 10 frame
Assembly of Equipment *Boxes, Bottom Boards & Lids (All treated to preserving, painting & maintaining.) * Frames * Wiring * Embedding Foundation
Location of Hives * Stationary * Migratory * Backyard * Rural
Feeding Hives * How to * When to
- Management of Hives Year Round Movement – Migration of Beehives * Preparation * How to and when * Problems associated with moving hives * Keeping a diary
- Lighting & Extinguishing a smoker * O. H. & S * Parts * Fuel * Where to aim smoke and why * Use of smoker to manage bees
- Opening & Reassembly of a hive * Tools needed * Removing a frame and how to hold it for examination * Cells – what is contained in cells on a frame * Swarm prevention * Robbing the hive
b) Different methods
- Honey Extraction * Preparation for extraction * How to handle * Process & Storage of extracted honey