Grow Our Own Food
Introduction to Permaculture Design
- Permaculture : History, Ethics and Principles overview
- Overview of GOOF series and how principles are applied to urban settings.
- Design Overview: Zones, Elements, Functions, Patterns, Diversity, Effort, Modelling Nature.
- Site Analysis; Aspect, Water, Wind, Access, Neighbours, Slope, Soil, Climate.
- Record Keeping: Weather, planting, harvest yields & times, Before/After photos.
- Uses: food, medicine, cosmetics, cleansers, habitat, climate, security, soil, aesthetics .
- What plants need: air, water, sun, disturbance, minerals, friends.
- Parts: Roots, Tubers, Rhizomes, Stems, Leaves, Flowers.
- Life Cycle: Pollinating, cross breeding, seeds, bulbs, cuttings, roots, layering, grafting.
- Classification: Families, Perennials vs Annuals, ‘Structure’ (tree, bush, climbers.)
- Functions (jobs they do): companions, guild, layers, food forest.
- Essential Ingredients – Biota, Minerals, Water, Air, Disturbance.
- Physical (Texture (clay, silt, sand, (e.g. loam,) Structure (profile, crumbs, pods, columnar humus. Permeability drainage air and water.
- Chemical: PH, minerals, salts.
- Biological: humus, microbes, insects.
- Soil Testing: sampling, chemical, physical, biological.
- Improving Soil (mining vs re-generating)
» A. Composting, B. Manures: C. Inoculants. D. Plants: E. Additives.
» Garden Management, hygiene, chop/drop, Mulch, rotation, guilds, companions, inter-planting.
- Why save seeds?
- Types of seeds (open pollinated, hybrid, heritage heirloom, GMOs)
- Life cycle of Seeds
- Harvesting seeds (when to harvest, how to harvest, how to dry)
- Cleaning (pods, crowns, winnowing, soaking
- Storage (testing, labelling, storing)
- Sowing: (ground, trays, pots, green houses, capillary beds, medium, cuttings, runners, bulbs,
Year Round Food Production
- What? Plant Selection (preference, diet, taste, cost, yield, effort)
- When? Seasonal Planting Schedule( when does each plant grow best for most yield)
- How Much? Quantity estimating ( How much do you plant each month for continuous yield)
- Best way to sow : plant bed, tray, ground, re-vitalising beds , crop rotation.
- Where? Bed Planning (planting map, spacing, companions, rotation,)
- Follow your plan and Record results. (What worked? Where? How Much? Rotation?)
Share your story. Changes as a result of this series.
next, Goof Part 2