Fruit in Small Spaces/ Natural Pest Control-Why and why not?
- Planning; designing a fruit calendar; soil water and sunlight; some research.
- Small fruit garden: dwarf varieties; stacking; vertical fruit gardening; fruit tree circle; fruit salad. tree; multiple fruit trees in one hole; pruning; integrated fruit plantings; containers.
- Identifying pests: flying, crawling, boring, life cycle, evidence.
- Plants: companion planting.
- Prevention: soil, companions, predator habitats, spacing, rotation.
- Intervention: Inoculants, traps, bait, repellents, garden hygiene, life cycle interrupts.
- Organic disease control.
Chickens and other animals (bugs & birds)
- The role of animals in your gardens and homes.
- Chickens: breeds, selection, feeding, housing, health, needs, yields, protecting your garden.
- Attracting beneficial birds: types of birds, feeding, accommodation.
- Attracting bees & other beneficial insects.
- Habitat creation and plant selection.
- Terms and concepts and Energy Auditing,
- Reduce energy use: intelligent design, demand management, generation, efficiency.
- Demand Management Strategies,
- Home energy production: solar (case study: cooking w sun) wind, biomass, animal, evaporating water.
- Improving household energy efficiency : heating and cooling, hot water, appliances, refrigeration, lighting; cooking (Case study: cooking with stored heat).
- The way forward
- Water management and irrigation: water wise fruit, veg & herbs, Water wise pots, Irrigation terms Factors affecting water requirements, irrigation methods, Greywater
- Water collection /storage: Where it goes, Options for reduction, how much rainwater? Rainwater storage, large, small & other options, Choosing site for your tank, rain water harvesting.
- Water Audit: process and paperwork.
- Water demand management: direct water use, reducing direct water use, water foot print, Indirect water use, reducing indirect water use.
- Managing your waste: Packaging, toxic chemicals, appliances, clothes.
- Waste audit and remediation strategies.
- Hidden Costs of Consuming: the true cost of our lifestyle (environment and health).
- Consumption audit and remediation strategies.
- Black water: Toilets compost, biolytic, anaerobic, Humanure.
- Sustainable Transport audit and remediation strategies.
Share your story. Changes as a result of this series
Next, Goof series part 3